Thursday, December 6, 2012

An Evening with Jill Savage

I love Jill Savage.  If I had a celebrity "mom crush" it would be on her. No, she's not a Hollywood starlet, or someone who blogs about her perfectly organized home. She is a normal mom from Central Illinois. Well, one who also happens to have written several books on marriage and parenting, and is founder and CEO of the popular Hearts at Home conferences.

Jill Savage photo

I really enjoy Jill's down-to-earth demeanor and candor. She's a polished speaker, and is able to covey the juggles and struggles of motherhood in an honest and funny way. Every time I hear her speak I leave refreshed, encouraged and best of all, with a greater desire to go home with a heart full of love for my husband and children.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to hear Jill at "A Night with Jill Savage" hosted by Crossroads Church in Monticello. Here are a few of the points she shared that stuck with me:
  • We must consider motherhood a profession. What do you want to accomplish in your career as a mom? Ask yourself "am I being intentional every day in that career?"
  • Maximize the moments you're given, you can't go back! She illustrated this point by showing photos of her family and telling the stories of each of her children throughout the talk. Funny, this has already been on my mind recently. I actually shared a similar message in my Faith at Home moment at MAFMC in August. One nugget of wisdom Jill often shares is that we have to CUT BACK on all the extra "things" that fill up our lives and zap us of our time and energy. She suggests "One major, one minor" outside of family. If you have two full time careers, mom and another, that's your "major". It also might be homeschooling or a part time job. The "minor" might be a volunteer ministry position, or something like a room mom responsibility. I know this is hard, because there are so many good things out there! It reminds me of another quote I heard recently "saying 'no' right now is not the same thing as saying 'never." She points out that you will miss the moments that matter if you're too stressed out!
  • We must never compare our insides to other mom's outsides.  I've also heard it stated, don't compare your insides to someone else's external "highlight reel". Ever feel that way after scrolling through Facebook? My hubby does pro photography, and let me tell you, it is AMAZING what that camera and some photo retouching software can do. Except for a few serial over-sharers, most of us don't put our daily struggles or darkest thoughts out there for the world to see. Jill pointed out that honesty breeds honesty.
  • We must understand our value and self worth in Christ. If you have a relationship with Christ, remember HE defines you, not your children, their choices or behavior.  If you don't know Christ, or want to learn more, please reach out to me, one of us at Mattis Avenue (www.mattisave.org), or someone at a church near you. Our kids need secure moms who know their identity in HIM.
Jill has a new book coming out soon titled "No More Perfect Moms".  As someone who once sent her kindergartener to school with her jeans on backwards, I look forward to reading this one soon!  Oh, and if you'd like to check out her blog, you can find it here:  www.jillsavage.org  

Have you learned a nugget of wisdom from Jill? If so, what's your favorite? 

No comments:

Post a Comment